This is a BIG WEEK for Arts Education in Maine!!
SUMMIT ON ARTS EDUCATION
We have more than 90 educators attending the Summit on Arts Education at USM, Portland campus on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday and almost half of those will also be attending on Friday for the Teacher Leader day. Included on the attendee list are dance, music, theatre, and visual arts PK-12 teachers, teaching artists, other educators, and representatives from arts organizations and the university. There are 13 teams participating. The Maine Arts Assessment Initiative (MAAI) Leadership team and Teacher Leaders have been crazy busy with the agenda planning that will be full of rich learning opportunities.
Included on the agenda:
- Sessions on Assessment, Leadership, Student-centered, Standards-based, Proficiency, Advocacy, Arts Integration, Creativity, Literacy, Technology and much more provided by MAAI teacher leaders, leadership team, members, Lesley University staff, technology integrators from NC, MLTI, and MICDL, and teaching artists
- The unveiling of the Teacher Leader Resource Bank by Julie Richard, Executive Director of the Maine Arts Commission
- An electronic discussion with the State Education Agency Directors of Arts Education (SEADAE) who are at a conference in Washington, DC this week
- Arts Education Program Director, Jeff Poulin from Americans for the Arts will be presenting a session on Leadership and Advocacy
- Stories and examples from MAAI Teacher Leaders
- Time for networking with other Maine educators
- Arts Education organizations, higher ed representatives, and community groups will be exhibiting and sharing information
- The opportunity to create an Individual Action Plan and/or a Team Action Plan to implement back home in teachers school districts
Teachers who are attending the Summit will receive contact hours, CEUs or graduate credit.
If you have not registered for the Summit you may still do so no later than TODAY by clicking here https://webapp.usm.maine.edu/DCPEOnline/addRegCONFPage1.do?offeringId=100075146. For more information please click here https://mainearts.maine.gov/Pages/Education/NESummit
COMMUNITY CONVERSATION ON ARTS EDUCATION
Maine Focus Groups and Community Conversations – don’t miss this opportunity!
Are you interested in joining others interested in arts education to talk about the future of arts education in Maine? If so, please plan on attending the event on
Tuesday, July 29, 7:00-8:00pm at the Maine College of Art, 522 Congress St, Portland, ME.
We have a wonderful opportunity to help influence the future of our community and the future of our state. Please join me to participate in a discussion about the kinds of creative opportunities and activities you would like to see available for our residents, our children, and our families. Often times, plans are created for us, instead of with us – they miss the mark and we miss the opportunity to see what we value included in the mix.
If you have questions about either of these opportunities taking place this week please don’t hesitate to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.