Teacher Leader Technology OppAugust 28, 2016
MLTI Teacher Leader program
The Learning Through Technology Team at the Maine Department of Education has recently established the MLTI Apple Refresh Teacher Leader Program. A participating teacher leader will be referred to as an MLTI Apple Refresh Teacher Leader or MARTL.
Each school that is part of the 2016 MLTI Apple Refresh has been asked to identify one teacher or curricular-focused, certified professional to serve as the MARTL. Schools are encouraged to select someone other than a technology integrator or technology coach as their MARTL in order to grow their local capacity.
This is an opportunity for an active professional learner who is interested in spreading teacher-to-teacher innovations to join a facilitated cadre of like-minded peers. Through this Professional Learning Network they will be made aware of resources and opportunities across the state of Maine and beyond.
The MARTL’s formal responsibility will be to serve as a communication portal between the Apple MLTI Team, the Maine DoE Learning Through Technology Team, and their school community. They will be asked to share regular updates highlighting Apple MLTI Professional Learning opportunities and to be an active participant in regional and statewide conversations and meetings.
If you are in a school/district that is part of the MLTI Apple Refresh and interested in this role ask your principal about this opportunity. More details about the role are below. The school needs to identify the MARTL by September 15.
Questions? Contact Jim Moulton at email@example.com.
What is the MLTI Apple Refresh Teacher Leader (MARTL) Program?
The MLTI Apple Refresh Teacher Leader (MARTL) Program is designed to directly support improvements in student learning experiences through more thoughtful and rich leveraging of Apple technology across all schools participating in the 2016 Apple MLTI Refresh. Indirectly, the work of this group will benefit all Apple MLTI schools.
Who is an MLTI Apple Refresh Teacher Leader (MARTL)?
MARTLs will be selected by their schools. Schools will select a teacher (or other curricular-focused, certified professional such as a librarian) who is an effectively innovative educator and who is an effective communicator within the school community. MARTLs are educators who are curious and are open to growing their knowledge and skills around the use of technology to learn, teach, innovate, and communicate in order to improve learning experiences for students. They are also active sharers of information, resources, and opportunities across their school community.
Why does an educator want to become an MLTI Apple Refresh Teacher Leader (MARTL)?
MARTLs are educators who are interested in connecting with other MARTLs from across the state as well as regional and national resources. They will do this in an effort to discover how to best leverage their school’s participation in the Apple MLTI Refresh to make learning experiences more engaging, purposeful, and effective for all students in their school.
What benefits does a MARTL receive from participation?
Specifically, MARTLs will be provided:
– connection to a facilitated PLN
– invitations to 2 one-day regional MARTL meetings annually (mileage and substitute costs covered)
– invitation to 1 two-day statewide MARTL meeting annually (summer – mileage and all other costs covered) – direct connections to the MARTL facilitation team (Apple and DoE Learning Through Technology Team)
– regular updates around resources and opportunities across the state of Maine and beyond
What are the responsibilities of an “MLTI Apple Refresh Teacher Leader (MARTL)”
MARTLs will be asked to:
- – participate in a facilitated PLN
- – attend 2 one-day regional MARTL meetings annually
- – attend 1 two-day statewide MARTL meeting annually
- – leverage direct connections to the MARTL facilitation team (Apple and Maine DoE)
- – share resources and opportunities from across the state of Maine and beyond with teachers and students intheir school communityWhen? What is the timeline for the “MLTI Apple Refresh Teacher Leader (MARTL) Program”
Milestones and dates for the MARTL Program through the 2016 – 2017 school year are:
– Spring 2016 – MARTL concept and opportunity is socialized across participating schools – August 1, 2016 – MARTL selection process distributed to schools
– By September 15, 2016 – MARTL selections are submitted
– October 2016 – Round One of one-day regional MARTL meetings
– October, November, January, February, March, May, 2016 – MARTL Webinars TBD – March & April 2017 – Round Two of one-day regional MARTL meetings
– Summer 2017 – First two-day statewide MARTL meeting
– Ongoing throughout 2016-17 School Year – Information and opportunity sharing
Page 2 of 2