Marketing DirectorSeptember 2, 2016
Maine Arts Commission career opportunity
The Director of Marketing will be responsible for the development and implementation of a strategic, multimedia and external relations communications program that clearly conveys the mission, goals, activities, and accomplishments of the Maine Arts Commission, and the impact and value of the arts in Maine; and that works to engage greater constituencies and stakeholders with the work of the Commission. This includes but is not limited to: marketing strategy and plan development; the oversight of media relations, materials, and events; data gathering, analysis, and dissemination initiatives; and digital and social media assets.
REPRESENTATIVE TASKS (A position may not be assigned all the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all the duties that may be assigned).
- Manages development and dissemination of all informational materials across multiple media to promote and publicize the agency, its goals, programs and activities
- Develops and implements marketing plans.
- Guides agency’s identity and branding efforts; maintains standards.
- Oversees development of agency publications. Develops all public materials and information, including quarterly newsletter, collateral items, digital assets, and event materials.
- Implements the agency’s social media strategy and the creation of all required digital assets, including but not limited to video, audio, and still photography.
- Oversees development of agency’s website including content, design and functionality, to meet department and agency needs.
- Develops and maintains relationships with press and agency contacts. Directs press inquiries, media releases, production of radio, television and print advertisements and public service announcements (PSA’s).
- Markets all special events, public awareness campaigns, and advocacy activities through the oversight provided by the Executive Director.
- Manage and oversee all data gathering, analysis, and communication efforts. Works with Executive Director and other staff to produce reports to support Commission work.
- Implements departmental operating policies, procedures and systems, assuring currency, consistency, and conformance with departmental and agency policies and objectives.
- Provides support for internal communication efforts, including working with agency leadership in the dissemination of agency-wide information and organization of internal communications resources.
- Evaluates program activities, communicates measurable impacts, and determines effectiveness in accomplishing departmental objectives; recommends changes and improvements as needed; plans, develops, implements and maintains new and existing services; prepares program annual budget.
- Overnight travel, evening, and weekend work is sometimes required, as well as light lifting and long periods of sitting.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
The ideal candidate:
- Exhibits excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a wide variety of individuals, demonstrating a high level orientation to customer service.
- Has developed marketing plans and implemented them successfully.
- Demonstrates excellent writing, editing, and digital storytelling skills across all media.
- Seeks out opportunities to expand the agency’s reach to new and existing audiences.
- Implements journalistic principles, practices, and techniques of disseminating information to the public through news media, public information, social media strategies and education.
- Is familiar with current marketing methods and technologies, including cloud-based applications, digital creation and editing systems, and data gathering, organizing, and distribution applications.
- Can demonstrate specialized knowledge of modern English usage and grammar, technical writing, and production, particularly AP style.
- Has proficiency with planning, composing, editing, and producing publications, including familiarity with desktop publishing software packages (Adobe InDesign, Photo Shop, Illustrator).Has experience with the design and content management of websites.
- Works independently, sets priorities, and manages multiple tasks and deadlines with accuracy.
- Has a demonstrated track record, via references, for establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and the ability to excel in a strong team setting
A Bachelors’ Degree in an Arts or Humanities related field and two (2) years’ experience working with artists, art groups, and/or humanities organizations. Directly-related experience may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis.
Preference will be given to applicants with a degree or equivalent specializing in marketing, communications, journalism, English, or a related field; and to those with work experience in program coordination, development, and implementation of a Marketing Department or Program, or in a major communications or marketing role in business or government. Knowledge and appreciation of Maine arts and culture, artists and arts techniques are a benefit.
The value of State’s share of Employee’s Retirement: 15.85% of salary for BU positions. The value of State-paid Dental Insurance: $13.13 biweekly. The value* of State-paid Health Insurance:
- Level 1: 100% State Contribution (employee pays nothing): $415.11 biweekly
- Level 2: 95% State Contribution (employee pays 5%): $394.35 biweekly
- Level 3: 90% State Contribution (employee pays 10%): $373.60 biweekly
- Level 4: 85% State Contribution (employee pays 15%): $352.84 biweekly
*The level of the actual value of state paid Health Insurance will be based on the employee’s wage rate and status with regard to the health credit premium program.
CLASS CODE 0822 PAY GRADE 24 – $39,062.40- $ 52,936.00 Annually
OPEN FOR RECRUITMENT: September 1, 2016 to September 30, 2016
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit a cover letter, resume’ and Direct Hire Application. This job posting and a Direct Hire application can be found on our website: http://www.maine.gov/fps/opportunities/.
MAIL APPLICATIONS TO:
Tammy Sturtevant, HR Generalist
General Gov. Service Center, 74 State House Station
Augusta, Maine 04332-0074
OR EMAIL TO: