Two Weeks LeftSeptember 20, 2016
Register today for the MICA and arts ed conferences
CREATIVITY. INDUSTRY. ART. INNOVATION.
The Maine International Conference on the Arts in Lewiston/Auburn
October 6-7, 2016
Don’t miss your chance to network, work, and learn with artists, arts organizations, arts educators, community developers and policymakers from throughout Maine.
- CLICK HERE for the full schedule
- Opening Reception & Keynote: Thursday, October 6, 4:30 p.m. at the Gendron Franco Center. Poet, essayist, advocate, and Vice President of the Office of Diversity at Bates College Crystal Williams. Williams will speak on “Practical Approaches to Creating Impact: Getting to Cultural Equity.”
- Celebrate Lewiston/Auburn’s vibrant creative culture and industries Thursday evening visiting downtown local artist studios in an Art Crawl; enjoying some of your favorite show tunes and getting behind the scenes in Maine’s oldest community theater, the Community Little Theater in Auburn; or attending a poetry reading at the Lewiston Public Library in which Maine’s Poet Laureate Stuart Kestenbaum will be joined by some of the diversely talented, poetry slam-winning students from Edward Little High School in Lewiston.
- Friday morning Idea Lab featuring five of Maine’s most innovative artists
- 20 breakout sessions focused on the skills and discussions you say you need and want to strengthen the arts in Maine. Workshop sessions are offered in each of the priority areas of the Commission’s 5-year Cultural Plan: Leveraging Investment, Visibility for Arts & Culture, Arts Education & Lifelong Learning, Cultural Tourism, and Building Capacity.
More than a dozen pop-up performances showcasing Maine talent
The October 6 focus will be arts education with Cheryl Hulteen ” “Teaching Artful Practice/Practice Artful Teaching”. Cheryl is the author of YES YES GOOD: The heART of Teaching.